Friday 27 February 2009

The new Herbal Essences

As an avid fan of Herbal Essences, I've been using it as long as I can remember, the new version is something I felt worth reviewing. I've used many different shampoos over the years, but I keep finding myself coming back to Herbal Essences. It's cheap, cheerful, smells wonderful and always leaves my hair feeling soft and healthy, what's not to like? I've used more expensive products in the past, not vastly expensive, but mid-range professional products from the likes of Toni and Guy, Trevor Sorbie, Mark Hill and Lee Stafford. Whilst these shampoos seem to work wonders for my hair at first, I soon feel the need to wash my hair again. They all seem to leave a residue in my hair, that to start with I can't feel, but the build-up is more excessive than cheaper alternatives I've used. So I've come to realise that all the fancy ingredients just don't really suit my hair-type.






I mainly used the shampoos for coloured hair, where originally there were three types, the Fruit Fusions range, the Rainforest Flowers range and the traditional Herbal Essences. Now there is just one shampoo for coloured hair which is available in a bright pink bottle (not to be confused with the Seductively Straight range which is the same colour). This one contains acai berry and silk extracts, and to me, smells exactly like the tradional Herbal Essences smell.

Compared to the old version, I don't really think the new Herbal Essences performs any better. I think the purpose behind changing is to make it more simple for the consumer. Rather than have three different shampoos for the same purpose there is now only one. Dazzling Shine is to replace the Moisture Balance shampoo and the Dazzling Shine shampoos that were available in the Fruit Fusions and Rainforest Flowers range. Many of the shampoos have not changed but had the packaging altered; Hello Hydration directly replaces the Deep Nourishment and Shine shampoo with the formulation being exactly the same. Frizz Fighter is the replacement for the Rainforest Flowers Sensuously Smooth, Seductively Straight for Silk n' Shine, Uplifting Volume for Fruit Fusions Citrus Lift, Fresh Balance for the Greasy Roots, Dry Ends range. As well as these replacements, there are also a few new shampoos being introduced to the range including No Flakin' Way which acts as an anti-dandruff shampoo, Breakage Defender and It's a Curl Thing.

So the verdict: the new Herbal Essences have not exactly been improved in terms of their ingredients but the new range makes it more simple to choose one that suits your hair type. It's a clever bit of marketing because I think by providing an alternative to their old range they are able to maintain existing customers, but the introduction of new ranges will bring new customers. I got used to using the Rainforest Flowers range so I will miss this but won't stop using the brand for this reason. The new packaging is also quite appealing. They are now brightly coloured and look good together on the shelf because they fit together. I will continue to use Herbal Essences for the time being and if you're in doubt, visit the website and get yourself a free sample from the new range.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin